Sunday, February 26, 2012

Thinking Temptation


11:46pm
In this, it’s only God. There is no other way. Even the option, “I can handle it”, is nowhere near a possible solution. As an idea it’s far flung from me already; so far that I can no longer hear its counsel. It just doesn’t work. Never did, never will. It only puffed me up into thinking I am the “Main Man” in charge.

11: 50am
And I’d say, it pretty well settled on my senses, touched my mind, deep, deep inside, that self-control was, on my own, futile. It’s only God, only Him that can save me.

12:26am
For when it felt sweet to do, when all that mattered was the moment’s pleasure, I was almost always completely stripped of whatever willpower I had. Yup, before temptation came with all her charm and allure, I thought I was invincible, but soon enough I realized I wasn’t. Not even close. 

3:06am
While I thirst for growth and seek to be better, strong and firm; and while I long to live a life progressively pleasing to my God and Maker, I always did find myself in this vortex that draws me again and again to an ill center – a familiar place of woe, a vomit, a bloody addiction that tempts me at every turn, mocking my redemption and my faith.

6:31am
God will help me through it. I believe. And I will overcome. But this time I fight and stand with God. His Word in my heart, my dependence on His strength, and trust in His promises, I know I will overcome.

 

4 comments:

  1. I read this the other day but had to take time and meditate on it. Your words are very powerful!

    **so far that I can no longer hear its counsel.**

    You know, it is so easy to listen to the counsel of the wicked, the tempted, the world. And sometimes, it's easier to give in to the counsel than to fight and keep fighting. But, oh, the rewards of fighting are so much greater!

    Romans 8:37 No, despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us.

    Amen and amen! We are conquerors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. If only we could all set our eyes on the reward or the glory that awaits us we'd have more gumption in availing ourselves of the grace and strength of God to overcome the temptations that come our way. Yes we are conquerors!

      Delete
  2. i love your train of thought... love the post

    ReplyDelete